Re: qlogic fibre disks lenny sun blade 1000

Frans Pop wrote:
Rudy Gevaert wrote:
I'm having problems installing Lenny (also Etch) on a sun blade 1000.
During installation the disks are not recognized.

This is know problem as the firmware is in non-free.

Daily built images of the installer for Lenny now include support for installing firmware. It would be great if you could test that.

Ok, I tried with one of those images and indeed it asks for external media.

Unfortunate I can't find any documentation on how I need to layout the external media.

For the installation I fix this by doing:
udpkg -i firmware-qlogic-di_0.4+etchnhalf.1_all.udeb
modprobe -r qla2xxx
modprobe qla2xxx

After the installation, but before reboot, I chroot into the new system.
And do the same.  Meaning installing the firmware-qlogic package from
non-free.

Sounds like you forgot to update the initramfs initrd after installing the firmware so that it also includes the firmware files.

I again executed a shell and installed the udeb package.

And, believe it or not, after the installation I could boot the system...

Rudy

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert@UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur ICT Department, Infrastructure office
Groep Systemen                    Systems group
Universiteit Gent                 Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be