Re: Installation Failing Sun V100

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Brandon Mercer wrote:

install debian.  I hit enter and see some messages about:
Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
Loaded kernel version 2.4.27
Loadeing initial ramdisk (896142 bytes at 0xCF808000 phys, 0x40C00000 virt)...

Remapping the kernl... FP Disabled

Can anyone offer any advice on a working installer to use. I don't have a floppy drive on the box, and I have exhausted all of my knowledge. Thanks
Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Sorry to hear about all the failures. The problem you've encountered is documented in the Debian BTS as bug #267428 [0]. It has been open for a while, but recently there has been some progress [1]. It looks like the system hangs (or returns to OBP prompt) because gcc generates code using the floating-point registers for temporary storage early in the boot process, which causes the "FP Disabled" trap. So the solution might be as simple as finding the right set of gcc options for kernel/silo compilation. I hope we will be able to resolve it soon.

In the meantime I can only recommend you to try and netboot the image [2] with 2.6 kernel (we currently do not have any prebuilt iso images with 2.6). As this is different kernel version, it might "just work".

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/267428
[2] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-sparc/rc2/images/sparc64/netboot/2.6/boot.img

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org