Re: dist-upgrade problem after make-kpkg

> * venerd́ 25 ottobre 2002, alle 12:33, Mark T. Valites scrive:
> > Maurizia,
>
> *cough*. Maurizio. it's an italian male name :)

My apologies - thought I copied & pasted it too...

> > I'll add --revision arguements to make-kpkg next time, but even with this
> > method, will a dist-upgade still try to jam a new kernel down my system?
>
> kernel upgrading is always a critical process. with arguments to yours,
> you keep "distinct" your kernel from "mainstream" one.
>
> this not prevent "dist-upgrade" from upgrading your kernel if it's
> required, but, instead "overwriting" the kernel, simply "install" also
> that version and make it the default in silo.

I see, so I'd see my custom kernel & the default/stock/supplied one in a
dpkg -l, with a hold mark on the supplied one if so set.

> before rebooting, you may so work around silo.conf and decide yourself
> if you want keep _your_ kernel, use the mainstream, or whatever.
> (after modifying silo.conf rembember to run silo for installation).
>
> i.e., my silo.conf right now look that:
>
> partition=1
> root=/dev/sda1
> timeout=100
> read-only
> image=1/vmlinuz
>   label=linux
> image=1/vmlinuz.old
>   label=old
> image=1/vmlinuz.safe
>   label=safe
>
> where vmlinuz* are all links at various kernels in /boot.

I was a little leary of this.  Redhat doesn't touch my lilo.conf in x86,
but I somehow end up running a new kernel version when I boot the
non-custom one after rpm -U-ing a directory of updates.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst
1 College Circle - 124b1 South Hall