Re: Problem booting Sun Blade 100 with Debian install media

Ben Collins wrote:
On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 03:01:01PM +0200, Arne Nordmark wrote:

Ben Collins wrote:

I hooked up a serial terminal instead. The kernel booted, but after the root file system was mounted there were no more messages, so I guess the installation program output is going somewhere else.

If you connect a serial cable, you must disconnect the keyboard.

which I did (or used console=ttya), but the point was that I got all the kernel messages on the serial terminal up to the point where the root filesystem was mounted, but I did not see anything from dbootstrap.

When you say "or used console=ttya", do you mean you physically
disconnected the keyboard? That's very very important. And yes, it will
make a difference between the kernel showing to serial and the
dbootstrap not.

I just did a serial cosnsole install two days ago using my tftp image,
on an ultrasparc 30, with no problems. So it isn't a bug in the
dbootstrap program.

Yes, no keyboard attached on the Blade. Are there any parameters that controls how dbootstrap talks to the console?

I also just tried serial console installation on an Ultra10 (with keyboard disconnected) from the same netinst CD, and that worked as expected.

Anyway, since the IDE controller driver is not working either, I would not get much futher even if I could interact with dbootstrap.

Thus USB, IDE, and serial dbootstrap all seems to be broken for me, (and the machine still runs Solaris without any problems).

Thanks,
Arne

--
	Arne Nordmark		Tel: +46 8 - 790 71 92