Re: Problem booting Sun Blade 100 with Debian install media

Ben Collins wrote:
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:51:34PM +0200, Arne Nordmark wrote:

Ben Collins wrote:

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 04:35:13PM +0200, Arne Nordmark wrote:

Hello,

I have no luck booting a Sun Blade 100 with 512M memory and PROM version 4.6 from the Debian install media. I have tried the Official Woody CD, and BenC's latest netinst.iso and tftpboot.img. After the message

What sort of graphics card is installed?

I don't have the machine at hand right now, but there is a PCI graphics card installed, and the PROM displayed something like "Elite 3D/Lite" if I remember correctly. Maybe I should remove that card and try to use the on board graphics instead?

Please do, thanks.

Still getting just about nowhere.

I removed the Expert3D-lite graphics card. The linux kernel now booted. However, the USB keyboard did not accept the address the kernel tries to give it, so no keyboard and I could not communicate with the installation program.

I hooked up a serial terminal instead. The kernel booted, but after the root file system was mounted there were no more messages, so I guess the installation program output is going somewhere else.

I swapped the disk with one from an Ultra 10 that is already installed, to see if the Blade will run from that. The kernel booted but there were so many messages:

hda: lost interrupt

that it took about a minute just to read the partition table. Maybe the system would have come up in a few days, but I were not waiting for that. I tried the kernel parameter ide=nodma with no effect.

Thus I conclude that this machine is REALLY unwilling to run Linux.

I give up for now.

Thanks
Arne

--