Re: Netra X1 install?

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 09:59:29AM -0400, Steve Haavik wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > Did you run "ifconfig -a"? I'm pretty sure I put this in there. Which
> > tftp images are you using?
>
> OK, I checked and
> http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/sun4u/tftpboot-small.img
> doesn't have is compiled in either.
>
> >From the kernel-config in that directory it looks like it's compiled as a
> module. Are there any other images I can try?

Are you willing to do a bit of hacking?

1) Download root.bin and sun4u/drivers.tgz from above URL.

2) Do this:

# zcat root.bin > root.image
# mount -o loop root.image /mnt
# mkdir modules
# cd modules
# tar zxf ../drivers.tgz
# cp lib/modules/..../<modname>.o /mnt/lib/modules/
# cd ..
# rm -rf modules
# umount /mnt
# gzip -c9 root.image > root.bin
# rm root.image drivers.tgz

Ok. Now you have a root.bin with the module you need. Once you boot with
this root.bin, you can switch to another console (or exec shell from the
menu) and do "insmod /lib/modules/<modname>.o", then continue with the
installation.

How do you use this new improved root.bin? Once of two ways. If you have
a sparc machine, download the sun4u/vmlinux from the above URL and do:

# tilo root.bin vmlinux

Or, if you can figure out how to burn it to a CD and use it.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/