Problems with net boot on SS SLC

Hello List,

while trying to get a diskless Sparc Station SLC to boot from the
network using the latest stable debian-sparc files, i encountered some
problems with mounting the NFS root filesystem.

Searching this list and the Web i only found some threads about the same
problem in January.
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2002/debian-sparc-200201/msg00080.html)
Unfortunately, the problem wasn't solved there.

I set up everything as described in the threads about this issue.
RARP, TFTP, RPC and NFS are configured correctly on the server
machine, i think. I used the  latest available official linux-a.out.

The SLC downloads and boots the kernel, but then it complains:

Partition check:
Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 192.168.0.1
RPC: sendmsg returned error 51
portmap: RPC call returned error 51
Root-NFS: Unable to get nfsd port number from server, using default
Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 192.168.0.1
RPC: sendmsg returned error 51
portmap: RPC call returned error 51
Root-NFS: Unable to get mountd port number from server, using default
RPC: sendmsg returned error 51
mount: RPC call returned error 51
Root-NFS: Server returned error -51 while mounting /export/sun-debian-3.0/debian-sparc-root
VFS: unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.

I got this result with several different proposed flavors of kernel
options, like

ok boot net ip=192.168.0.56 root=/dev/nfs
   nfsroot=192.168.0.1:/export/sun-debian-3.0/debian-sparc-root

Watching tcpdump output, it seems like there isn't even a single RPC /
NFS packet sent over the network - just RARP and TFTP traffic. Hardware
problems are unlikely, since OpenBSD runs perfect on this machine.

Anybody having an idea? Maybe i'm overlooking something really stupid?

Thanks for any hint,
Boris