potato -> woody on SPARC 2.

Hello again Debian SPARC folk,

Potato is running on an old SPARC 2 here
and there are a pair of spare disks where
I want to install woody.

First I tried the rescue diskette
supplemented with network access.  That
seemed fine until near the end of the
base installation when this popped up.
-----------------------------
            Warning
Failure trying to run: chroot /target dpkg --force--
depends --install /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.9.21_
sparc.deb
           <Continue>
-----------------------------
That was a dead end.

I recreated the diskette and ran through
the whole process again with the same
result.

I reviewed _Installing Debian GNU/Linux
3.0 For SPARC_ again and specifically
section "3.7 Installing Debian GNU/Linux
from a Unix/Linux System".

The procedure began OK but eventually
deselect reported "wget does not appear
to be available".  So that approach failed
also.

A recent message in the list reports a
problem when trying to compile a woody
kernel in potato on a SPARC2.

This machine does not have a CD drive and
there is no tfpt server unless I build one
on an old 486.

Is there any chance of ever getting woody
installed on this machine?  Tracing through
all the dead ends can really waste time
and I will certainly appreciate a little
guidance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,        Peter E.

Peter Easthope   http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/