Re: mysql-server install problem

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 01:51:34PM -0400, Tomislav Renic wrote:
> Thanks for the help guys.  That worked like a charm.
>
> I have another problem/question for the sparc crew.
>
> When I su root on my sparc machine from a regular user, and it asks for the
> root password, it allows me to login with the password just fine, however,
> if I append anything to the end of the password such as a number or an extra
> character or two, it still allows me to login.
>
> I can't see this being by design.

Yes, it is by design. Standard crypt() is only siginificant to 8
characters of the password. When you installed your system, it likely
asked if you want to use MD5 passwords. You should have said "yes" :)

Check the files in /etc/pam.d/ (mainly passwd). Add the md5 option and
change your password so that it is encrypted using an MD5 hash.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/