Re: NCPFS, anyone?

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 01:07:25PM -0500, Holzrichter, Bruce wrote:
> > In my latest attempt, I changed the 2.5.40 Makefile to use the
> > sparc64-linux-gcc compiler which I used to successfully compile
> > 2.4.19.  This time, the boot got past the 'Booting Linux' but perhaps
> > my options are not set right because, after getting the black screen,
> > the characters were unreadable.
>
> The FB layer has been undergoing a lot of changes.  Not sure what Vid card
> the blade100 has, but my ati mach64 based one in the Ultra5 exhibited the
> same behavior.  At one point, I was actually looking at this, and James
> Simmons had some modifications to his bk tree at
> http://fbdev.bkbits.net/fbdev-2.5 alas, my job has mostly shifted here, and
> I have been unable to get back to looking into this for some time to see if
> his updates worked. YMMV.

Yes, it's got an ATI-based video card.  Here is what the 'dmesg'
output from the 2.4.19 kernel says:

atyfb: 3D RAGE (XL) [0x4752 rev 0x27] 8M SDRAM, 29.498928 MHz XTAL, 230 MHz PLL, 100 Mhz MCLK
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 160x64
fb0: ATY Mach64 frame buffer device on PCI

Here's the snippet from my current .config file:

#
# Frame-buffer support
#
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_FB_CLGEN is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
CONFIG_FB_ATY=y
# CONFIG_FB_ATY_GX is not set
CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT=y
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM3 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SBUS is not set
CONFIG_FB_PCI=y
CONFIG_FB_ATY=y
CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT=y
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_ACCEL=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16 is not set
CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS is not set

Note here that I tried the 'CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22=y' option, but I only
found that gave me larger unreadable characters. :-/

> > Linux eventually hung but, because of
> > the unreadable font, I couldn't say where.
>
> Also, is it IDE based?  I was definitely having problems with IDE in 2.5
> after 2.5.13.  Not sure of the status of that yet either.

Yes, it is IDE-based.  Last I heard, Marcin Daleki stopped maintaining
the 2.5 IDE code and the 2.5 series now uses the IDE logic from the
2.4 series.  Accordingly, IDE in 2.5 is reputed to be stable as it is
in the 2.4 kernels.

>  Maybe you can
> turn off framebuffer support, and see how far it goes?

I didn't realise I could do that.  I thought the frame buffer is
mandatory.  Or is it only mandatory if I want to use X on it?

thx,

R.