Re: can it do pictures?

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Hm. So I won't spend any time trying to get the card to work.

If you're seeing 24-bit colour, there's no point trying with a GX family
framebuffer because it will never happen. 8-)

> > None of the GX/TGX family can support more than 8-bits of colour depth,
> > despite what people will try to tell you. Even the GX+/TGX+ which have
> > extra video RAM cannot do more than 8-bit colour. All the extra VRAM on
> > those framebuffers provides is more storage space for the extra pixel data
> > for higher than 1152x900 display sizes.
>
> Yes, the GX I'm currently using astonished me quiet a bit with the fact it
> can run a high resolution and no 16/24 bits display.

I guess in that respect it's quite good. The GX/TGX's are well-respected
because they're solid performing, entry-level framebuffers.

> Ok. I'll do research on my video card. Don't pc's useally run 1152 x 864? I
> guess that particular resolution won't be a problem to any recent/modern
> video card?

Well, if the frequency specs for 1152 x 864 are close to what Sun's specs
for 1152 x 900 are, you might get away with it. Otherwise you won't.

> > You also need a cable adaptor. The older Sun colour monitors require
> > combined H/V sync, and most of them cannot work with seperate H and V sync
> > signals, or with sync-on-green (except Hitach HM-4119's which had a switch
>
> Ok... this is tech talk I do not understand :)
> I have no clue what a H/V sync is, or what sync-on-green is.

Framebuffers generate three colour gun drive signals (R, G and B), along
with two synchronisation signals (H and V, meaning horizontal and
vertical). There are three common ways to generate the sync signals:

 - Seperate H and V sync signals mean the horizontal and vertical sync
   signals are physicaly seperated from the colour gun drive signals and
   run through seperate conductors between the framebuffer and monitor.

   If you've ever seen a video lead with 5 BNC connectors on the end,
   that's what it's made for. Three for the gun drives, and two for the
   syncs.

 - Combined H/V sync means the horizontal and vertical sync signals are
   still physically sepetated from the colour gun drive signals, but H and
   V sync are electrically combined so only one conductor is used for sync
   between the framebuuffer and monitor.

   This is the standard method of providing sync signals used by Sun's
   framebuffers.

 - Sync-on-green is similar to combined H/V sync in that the two sync
   signals are electrically combined, but to save even more cable 'real
   estate', the combined H/V sync signal is integrated with the green
   colour gun drive signal and so only three signal conductors are used
   between the framebuffer and monitor.

   SGI likes to use this method with their framebuffers.

Each method has it's merits, but sync-on-green should be avoided because
there can often be problems with 'headroom' on the green colour gun drive
caused by interaction between the combined H/V sync that's been
integrated with the green gun drive signal.

> They are talking about the  SUN 20d10 monitor, is that one comparable to mine
> you think? (No I don't know too much about sun hardware as you can tell).

GDM-20D10's are much better monitors, but like the 1962's they're also
fixed-frequency and you will have the same problems. You need to find a
GDM-20E20, or GDM17E20, since both of these are the first truly multisync
models Sun used. They also do not have to use a sync combiner in any video
cable adaptor, but I think they'll still work if the cable or adaptor has
one.

> But with that adaptor from ultraspec (36$) I should have everything I need to
> get pretty (big) pictures on my PC?

Yes, that adaptor (or a similar third-party one) will enable the 1962
monitor to work with your PC's framebuffer once you get it to generate the
right video specs. The cable adaptor is only a wiring adaptor - it's still
up to your PC's display card to output signals with suitable parameters to
make the monitor happy. 8-)

> > > I heard somehow you can make a setup that the monitor works, but you
> > > can only see X, no console or boot messages. In how far is this true?
> >
> > Yes, because your PC will most likely default to a video mode which the
> > 1962B monitor is unable to display.
>
> Is there a solution to that? Like selecting a different resolution at boot
> time, so I can at least see the debian boot messages? Anyway, If the radeon
> can support these refresh rates, and I get the monitor to work, I can go for
> a dual-head setup. Radeon cards are well suited for this.

I'm not sure. I only have first-hand experience with Debian on a Sparc
machine, so I can't give you qualified advice for how to overcome this
limitation.

Regards,

Craig.

--
  Craig Ian Dewick (craig@lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
  APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP).