can it do pictures?

Hello,

I just purchased an old ss2, expeccialy for the monitor, which is a 21" sony
trinitron. I got XFree86 working on it (copied some modelines from a mailing
list somewhere). Currently there is a SunGX video card, er, framebuffer in
it. It's a cg6. Supports a pretty good resolution, unfortunately only 8 bit
colors are available. But I still got a second video card. I't a dual sBus
card, used for CAD, there are 32 memory banks on it, chips say 'lsi logic'
and 'Bt', and there is a white sticker with the number '501164530980' on it.
Does anyone know whether this card will give 16 or even 24 bit colors?

A better alternative seems to me to use the sparc as an X terminal (it's
slow!) or to use the monitor on a PC. Now I know that it isn't easy to get a
fixed frequency monitor working on a pc (or vice versa). The video card has
to support it somehow. Before I purchase an adaptor, does anyone know whether
my hardware will somehow collaborate:

- monitor: as said, a sony trinitron, model No gdm-1962b
- video card: nvidia tnt2 M64 (eventually I'll buy one of the newer ati
(radeon) cards if they can do this job).

I heard somehow you can make a setup that the monitor works, but you can only
see X, no console or boot messages. In how far is this true?

tia!

Frank

--
homepage:       www.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~m9917684