Re: Sun Support for Linux

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Bob Van Cleef wrote:

> Sun System News:  Vol 48 Issue 2: February 11 - February 17
>
> Sun Broadens Support for Linux
>
> http://sun.systemnews.com/system-news/jobdir/submitted/2002.04.all.w2.html#5793
>
> Sun is working on a number of fronts to support and further the work
> being done in the Open Source community and on the Linux code base
> in particular:
>
> * Sun has released an application development tool, ABIcheck, to the
> Open Source community. The tool helps ensure compatibility between
> Linux releases.

That's a strange one. We already know what Linux releases run on Sparc
hardware that are anything decent - Debian and RedHat. I don't think any
of the other releases are fully-committed to Sparc platform support.

> * Sun will expand its partnerships with the Linux community to provide
> native support of Linux on SPARC systems for both the telecommunications
> and embedded markets.
>
> * Lineo will adapt and support Lineo's Embedix embedded Linux operating
> system on UltraSPARCTM processor-based end user-developed custom hardware.
>
> * Sun will support Linux on its key Sun StorEdgeTM line of storage systems
> and software.

Good idea - it can become the embedded OS on StorEdge subsystems. An
excellent application for a high-quality, bare bones embedded operating
system.

> * GNOME, the most advanced Linux user environment, will become the
> preferred desktop for Solaris OE when GNOME 2.0 begins shipping later this
> year.

And then all of us with non-current systems will have to make a massive
resource investment because GNOME is such an immense resource pig. GNOME
should be an option - not the default. Sun should totally dump CDE and
support only two GUI options - *real* OpenWindows, and GNOME.

Dropping the real X Windows packages will preclude the use of Solaris on
any older hardware that will still be supported when Solaris 9 is
officially released as a production OS.

This means anything like a Sparcstation 5, 10, 20, or Ultra-1 will need
maximum RAM and the fastest CPU possible for the platform to get anything
decent performance-wise.

I really like GNOME's concept, but it's so top-heavy. 8-)

Regards,

Craig.

--
  Craig Ian Dewick (craig@lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
  APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP).