From: Ben Collins [mailto:bcollins@debian.org]
Sent: 16 February 2002 22:04
To: Wren, Christopher
Cc: 'debian-sparc@lists.debian.org'
Subject: Re: Newbie: Ultra10 & Creator3d

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 09:56:34PM -0000, Wren, Christopher wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm new to debian and not sure how to get X working, spent the last couple
> of days playing about with potato and woody but not realy had much
joy.....
> reading through the archives there seems to be lots of suggestions but I'm
> still not clear on the steps I need to take.
>
> I've currently got a clean version of potato running with kernel 2.2.20
> <---- working great thanks *grin*
>
> I could do with some advice on which x packages to install use and how to
> get it to use the Creator3D and not the onboard card, which it does seem
> want to use as default.
>
> I did see a post that recommended adding the link
>
> ln -s /dev/fb0 /dev/fb     <------ fb0 being the Creator card, is this
> correct ??

For potato, you'll need to install xserver-xsun24. Then you can simply
type "startx".

On woody, you'll need to install xserver-xfree86, and configure for
sunffb. Again, after it is done, you'll use "startx" to start the
server.

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '