Installer and virtual terminals on SunBlade 1000

I am seeing something odd on my SunBlade 1000.  Following instructions
in some old posts on this list, I compiled a 2.4.17 kernel on an Ultra
5 using egcs64.  I then used a bcollins root.bin image to make a
tftpboot.img that works on my SunBlade1000.  In case anyone asks
-why-, the SunBlade 1000s don't just boot the "out of the box"
tftpboot images.  My new image boots to the installer, but I get the
following error messages cycling in a loop:

device '/dev/tty02' does not exist
device '/dev/tty03' does not exist

The problem is that I cannot operate the installer because the
messages obscure the screen and actually cause the screen to scroll.
I have built different kernels, both with and without VT support but I
can't get rid of this message.  Does anyone have a copy of a defconfig
that worked for them on a SunBlade1000?

Thanks,

Ron