Re: Sun Support for Linux

I've actually got a (PCI) weasel - it's more useful for (1) kernel
development (2) non-sighted (or simply remote!) access to BIOS
settings.  It's not nearly as interesting for service oriented
hardware, which you hardly ever reboot, and only need to see the BIOS
when you're right there changing hardware.  (and yes, the weasel cost
slightly more than the compgeeks.com celeron box it is installed in :-)

Don't forget the Intel NS1020 "hosting appliance".  Serial BIOS, no
video at all, and a little LCD front panel with a (regrettably
intel-proprietary) UI for setting an initial IP config and root
password.  Ships running redhat (2.2.16 kernel), but except for the
front panel, was easy enough to "upgrade" to Debian... [anyone who
actually has one of these boxes and wants it, email me and ask for
debian-upgrade-howto and I'll send the rough draft.]

On the otherhand, I'd be a customer for a more sane serial bios (the
intel one is still a curses-style text-menus interface) or even an
Intel-based OpenFirmware motherboard :-)