Serial console not quite working?

I'm curious if others have had this problem.  It appears that the serial
console for our Ultra 30 doesn't accept input until a kernel gets loaded.
I can even send a Break signal, and it won't be noticed until SILO has
loaded and started executing a kernel.

Needless to say, this can cause trouble if I want to select a kernel image
to load at boot time..  If anyone knows of a workaroun other than plugging
in a keyboard/monitor, I'd like to hear about it.

--
        Mike Hicks   [mailto:mhicks@csom.umn.edu]
   Unix Support Assistant    | Carlson School of Management