Re: Unable to use smbfs even though compiled in.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 03:25:15PM -0500, Roy Bixler wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 04:10:43PM -0400, Robert C. Mosher II wrote:

> > > When you do 'lsmod', do you see something like the following?
> > >
> > > Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> > > smbfs                  39376   1 (autoclean)

What official kernel packages did you try?  AFAICT the regular kernel
package has smbfs.  Also, are you using stable, testing or unstable?

> > Running 'lsmod' only gives me the headings. There are no modules listed.
>
> I guess that would be expected if you compiled a non-modular smbfs.
> Did you?

cat /proc/filesystems

Is smbfs listed?  What happpens when you do a modprobe smbfs?

> I am using the Linux 2.4.21 kernel on a Sun Blade 100 with Debian
> unstable.  Mounting a Samba share works as expected.
>
> i.e. with
>
> # mount -t smbfs -o username=user,uid=user //samba/share /mnt
>
> I am prompted for a password, the mount works and the share is mounted
> under /mnt.

Yup, works for me with the stock 2.4.18 kernel on stable, too.