Re: different packages compared to intel?

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:

> <offtopic>
> I am just Debianing for about 2 days now, but I really started liking
> it. I am still a little confused about dselect, but "apt-get install"
> works fine - and even if I have to figure out many things that are
> different from my good old SuSE it is going to be "learning-fun"
> BTW - if you have any short RTFM-Links on how to do a new kernel on
> debian/sparc (as I found a SparcStation20 with two processors on campus
> (- is smp supported for sparcs?)) send them by PM... ;)
> </offtopic>

install kernel-package and read the docs under
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package

it is the easiest way to compile a kernel (although kernel-package doesn't
help with the kernel configuration part of the kernel compilation, you
still have to do that yourself). AFAIK SMP works fine on sparcs.

> +-Ben Collins-(bcollins@debian.org)-[29.08.00 15:57]:
> > On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 07:19:48PM +0200, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
> > > As I am just trying to do a linuxfromscratch.org-install on that famous
> > > IPX ;) (bash-static-compile took 45minutes). I am wondering which
> > > packages differ between sparc and intel-systems usually (just a
> > > minimal-base system)...
> > >
> > > As far as I figured out one of them is
> > > silo <-> lilo
> >
> > sparc-utils
>
> What is that a replacement for? binutils? What about bin86?

sparc-utils is a small set of programs which you will rarely need, but it
has prtconf if you miss it from Solaris. It is small enough (155k), so you
can affort to keep it around in case you need it someday...

bin86 is an 386 assembler which is used by, for instance, the kernel
compilation, to, for instance, create 16-bit bootsectors. Sparc doesn't
have a replacement because it doesn't need one. Kernel compilation on
sparcs generates a vmlinux file which is an elf executable which is loaded
directly to memory by silo (i guess). If you really want to, you can
gzip it (and call it vmlinuz if you are so inclined :-) and silo won't
complain. But unless you are producing a floppy or are really space
impaired, the only visible effect is to slow down the boot process :-)

which brings me back to kernel compilation: don't try to 'make zImage' or
'make bzImage'. A simple 'make' is sufficient and will generate
vmlinux. But you don't need to worry about those mundane details if you
use kernel-package.

You will, of course, need binutils for kernel compilation.

> [...]

Regards, Leo