Re: secure installation

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 10:15:25AM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> > Did you actually tried update-notifier on KDE?
>
> Yes, it was installed on my system for some months, but it never
> informed me about any update. (I get informed via
> debian-security-announce, though and install updates 'by hand'. )

You are absolutely right. Now that I look at both the code and my system it
turns out it's working OK here because I also have cron-apt installed.
Fact is, upgrade-notifier's source code contains a cron script for that,
it's just not activated so for the time being. I guess installing cron-apt
should fix that.

> > update-notifier checks
> > himself if the package information has changed periodically. There's no need
> > for update-notifier to depend on cron-apt or any 'backend' as it already
> > does the job. If you ask it to install new software it will run
> > update-manager.
>
> That's what I would expect from its description in 'aptitude show
> update-[manager|notifier].

Yes, and from the manpage. I'm going to go and file a bug.

Regards

Javier