Re: "su -" and "su" - what is the real difference?

Good Question.

I had never thought THAT deeply about it, and always just thought about it in terms of which scripts would set which environmental variables and paths. su keeping your current environment, but changing you effective UID, while su - would give you root's Path and environment.

So, I would be interested in hearing what the additional security implications would be.

David.

--
David Ehle
Computing Systems Manager

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into
you.