RE: News server ?

[...]
> I wonder if the maintainers of lists.debian.org would consider
> running INND and converting the lists to newsgroups.  There are tools
> to translate newsgroups to/from mailing lists for those who want
> that, and you can also access them directly with a newsreader if you
> wish.
>
> It's not really common, but it's not unusual for sites that have a
> lot of mailing lists to run a news server in this way, and I'm sure
> some of the software for it is already part of Debian.

Yes, I set one up on my internal network to handle buglist traffic.  I
didn't have to grab any "extra" packages in order to get it to work...  I
used procmail and innd.

The program you would be interested in is mail2news, and you set up the
newsgroup to be "moderated" by the mailing list...  Pretty
straightforward...

I forget the actual process I used to set it up, but O'Reilly's "Practical
Internet Groupware" discusses this in the appropriate detail.