Removal of QCAD

Hello debian-science,

The qt3 libraries are in the process of being removed from Wheezy,
which means QCAD will be removed from Wheezy [1]. A new project took
the qcad code, ported to qt4, and has added new features (autosave,
DWG support, updated translations, new icons). LibreCAD just was
accepted to main this week.

qcad is quite popular, with a popcon score over 2500. Should we keep
qcad as a transitional package to depend on librecad (since it is the
same code base), or let users find it on their own?

Pros to qcad depending on librecad:
- Same code base, look, feel, and commands. (Debian packaging is also
nearly identical)
- LibreCAD supports all file types qcad did (and possibly more soon)

Cons to qcad depending on librecad:
- upstream qcad could resurrect itself and release again (it hasn't
since 2005, we've been using a patched version called qcad-free which
hasn't had a new release since 2007)
- librecad could have bugs from porting to qt4, there may be a drop in
stability for users until they are worked out (although librecad has
been in beta testing for 6 months or so already)

I'm planning on keeping qcad in the archive as long as the qt3
libraries are in, I'm just planning ahead about what to do when they
are removed and would appreciate ideas as to what to do with the qcad
package.

Cheers,
Scott

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2011/01/msg00002.html