Re: Removal of QCAD

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 07:34:08PM -0400, Scott Howard wrote:
> Hello debian-science,
>
> The qt3 libraries are in the process of being removed from Wheezy,
> which means QCAD will be removed from Wheezy [1]. A new project took
> the qcad code, ported to qt4, and has added new features (autosave,
> DWG support, updated translations, new icons). LibreCAD just was
> accepted to main this week.

Ah, cool. I've only used QCAD 2-3 times in the past, but was quite happy
it was packaged.

> qcad is quite popular, with a popcon score over 2500. Should we keep
> qcad as a transitional package to depend on librecad (since it is the
> same code base), or let users find it on their own?

Speaking as an occasional user: please provide a transitional package.

> Cons to qcad depending on librecad:
> - upstream qcad could resurrect itself and release again (it hasn't
> since 2005, we've been using a patched version called qcad-free which
> hasn't had a new release since 2007)

Such a version will not appear out of nowhere, so handing them the
package name shouldn't be a problem by then.

> - librecad could have bugs from porting to qt4, there may be a drop in
> stability for users until they are worked out (although librecad has
> been in beta testing for 6 months or so already)

I don't consider this to important: if the original QCAD was ported to
Qt4, there might be the same bugs -- no one would suggest to keep the
old and the new version around in that case, either.

	Thomas