Re: Package categories

I agree with you, Adam. There are packages touching more than one subcategory. I am physicist in the elementary particle physics and high energies, working on software for that field, and I can say that, in my field at least, there cannot be physics without math and computer science. So, I support Adam in his comment.

Cheers,
George

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> wrote:
On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 13:55 +0100, Chris Walker wrote:
> It would be nice to see science packages better categorised. I guess
> this is ultimately best done using debtags.
>
> For example http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/physics.php lists
> packages to do Finite element analysis, optical simulation, xray
> absorption spectroscopy, ab inito quantum mechanics and computer algebra.
>
> I propose to post to this list or the wiki a list of potential
> subcategories along with packages that would go in them, and see where we go from there.
>
> Comments?

Rather than "subcategories", I would prefer "keywords", because many
packages cover multiple subcategories.  But then, debtags are more
keyword than (sub)category in this sense.

-Adam
--
GPG fingerprint: D54D 1AEE B11C CE9B A02B  C5DD 526F 01E8 564E E4B6

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/