Re: Debian-science: synthesis about VCS & repository structure

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:

I have to say that I do not see a reason why to enforce things here. Of
course it's not the optimal solution but I would be perfectly fine to
have both system in parallel so people have time to learn a new VCS.

If you have to much time to learn it might be longer than your life time
(even if you become >=100 years old).  I know from own experience that
I would try to safe my time and use the old tool I know as long as it is
possible.  The best chance to start with a new tool is a new project.
Once you insert data with the old toll and try the "I could move this
stuff later anyway" you will not do so because in most cases moving
data from an existing system to another one is much harder than start
from scratch.

I think we should recommend using Git, not enforcing it, unless there are
some serious problems (maintainance burden, technical problems,
whatever). (I've not heared from anyone wanting back to SVN once
familiar with Git.)

I've heard from noone wanting back to Word once familiar with LaTeX.
If more people would have started with LaTeX the number of copies of
Word would be much smaller ...

        This is what I was talking about in my previous emails: I do
not see it as a directory for "work in progress" packages but as a
directory containing task descriptions, as the Science CDD does! This is
the meta-information I was talking about: The task/category is extracted
from those files, so one can add a package to the "physics" and
"chemistry" files. In that way, a package fits into two categories,
without having it to depend on any directory structure. I think we can
use tools already existing for the Science CDD / Debian-Med. (If they
allow us to use those. ;) )

It is the declared *intention* that these tools are widely used and
I would like to encourage everybody to do so.  Currently the tasks
files are stored in the CDD repository under projects and I think this
is a reasonable place to store them.  Everybody who is interested to
enhance this stuff is very welcome - just ask me to be added to the
alioth team.  I would like to suggest the debian-custom mailing list
which is intended to discuss common CDD issues.

From those files/descriptions, meta-packages can be build, or they can
even be used for a CDD. (Not familiar with CDDs yet, so just
speculating.) In short: The tasks directory is the place where
task/categorization information goes.

As I said: It exist in another place which turned out to be a not so
bad place.  If there are good reasons to move this stuff to the
debian-science repository this is fine for me as well.  The idea
to store them in a common VCS with debian-med etc was to keep them
together to let the tools work on a common place - but this is not
really necessary.