Environment variable management with usepackage (Was: Any interest in Debian packages of Geant 4?)

Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk> writes:

> In my humble opinion, wrapper scripts are ugly.   That said, I could
> imagine that it would be the best solution (for now) to package GEANT 4
> - it's a mess when it comes to environment variables.

I agree.

For non-Debian packages I use something called "usepackage" (it's in
Debian).  This lets me write a single config file that can be used to
for both bash and tcsh users (why oh why is tcsh still so popular!?).
It can handle multiple installed versions.  Also the configuration can
be spread among multiple config files so as to allow different groups
to keep group-specific environment configurations separate.

-Brett.