Re: Any interest in Debian packages of Geant 4?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:

Not yet -- I'd prefer not to submit it upstream until I've thoroughly
polished and tested the .debs.  (And if they do end up in Debian's
archive, it makes life easier if upstream doesn't have their own debian
directory.)

In general providing a debian directory in upstream source is considered
a bad idea.  Feel free to search the debien-devel archive for the various
reasons.

deb-src http://borex.princeton.edu/~kmccarty/ unstable main

to your sources.list.  Run "apt-get update" then "apt-get source clhep2
geant4".  You need to build and install the clhep2 .deb first, then
geant4.

I would consider this as a step in between for an official inclusion of
a package.  There is obviousely interest here on this list and probably
there are some more people outside of this list.  Including software
into Debian most probably has the side effect to enhance the upstream
software as well so there is no real reason to keep it outside.

All comments/criticisms about the Debian packaging so far are welcomed.

Meta comment: Anybody thought about starting a Debian-Physics Custom
Debian Distribution? ( http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/ )

Kind regards and merry Christmas to you all