Re: HDF/HDF5

>>>>> "Kenneth" == Kenneth Jacker <khj@be.cs.appstate.edu> writes:

    jdr> I also agree that the ascii is more 'portable', but
    jdr> another possible advantage of binary is a more compact
    jdr> file size.

    > Another advantage to me of using a binary file format is
    > saving the time needed to translate between ASCII and
    > binary representations (both in writing and reading files).

Perhaps the most important advantage of using something like HDF
is that it provides a "self describing" data file.  If you are
going to need to associate even a few bits of meta-data with your
data, something like HDF is likely to save you some headaches
later on.

Mike

--
Michael A. Miller                               mmiller3@iupui.edu
  Imaging Sciences, Department of Radiology, IU School of Medicine