Python/matplotlib - was: Re: Welcome to Debian Science!

> > Thats a great question. So far, I don't know. I've been impressed
> > that python/numarray is very snappy
>
> Ah, so you use numarray rather than numeric? I'm still somewhat
> unclear on the differences/similarities between the two. Also, I just
> noticed that matplotlib appears not to be in Debian. Is this right?

According to the deb package description for numarray, I was led to
believe that numarray is a new and improved module to expand the
numeric/numpy module. Beyond that, I don't know much.

One note on that.. there appears to be some overlap in method naming
with pylab and numarray (i.e. where()), so if you use 'from module
import *' the order you load the two matters.

Andre Lehovich replied to me earlier to point out the ITP on
matplotplib (#206691). I get the deb from
http://anakonda.altervista.org/ (sources.list line at the bottom).

> > and matplotlib has really just been for plotting. I haven't really
> > taxed it yet, and I haven't compared directly with matlab code. I
> > have some matlab code for image reconstruction that my group uses
> > and can take 30-40 minutes to run.  Once I implement it in python,
> > I'll report back. (Efficiency always rouses my interest, often when
> > its not even important.)
>
> Great! That's just the kind of comparison I'm looking for.

Me too, but don't hold your breath. :-)

> > There are definitely differences. I've used IDL more than Matlab,
> > but in either case I think there will be some transition pains.
>
> Sure, that's inevitable, I expect. If you (or anyone else) know of any
> other Python modules that are potentially useful for people used to
> using MATLAB/IDL (apparently MatPy may be useful?), that'd be great.

There look to be tons of fits and starts on translations for these,
but I haven't tried any. If anyone knows of anything that works, I
would also love to hear about it too.
JDR