Re: Welcome to Debian Science!

> Thats a great question. So far, I don't know. I've been impressed
> that python/numarray is very snappy

Ah, so you use numarray rather than numeric? I'm still somewhat
unclear on the differences/similarities between the two. Also, I just
noticed that matplotlib appears not to be in Debian. Is this right?

> and matplotlib has really just been for plotting. I haven't really
> taxed it yet, and I haven't compared directly with matlab code. I
> have some matlab code for image reconstruction that my group uses
> and can take 30-40 minutes to run.  Once I implement it in python,
> I'll report back. (Efficiency always rouses my interest, often when
> its not even important.)

Great! That's just the kind of comparison I'm looking for.

> There are definitely differences. I've used IDL more than Matlab,
> but in either case I think there will be some transition pains.

Sure, that's inevitable, I expect. If you (or anyone else) know of any
other Python modules that are potentially useful for people used to
using MATLAB/IDL (apparently MatPy may be useful?), that'd be great.

Regards,

--
hanna m. wallach
blog: http://join-the-dots.org/