Re: Rails on Debian?

Hi Bob,

Bob Proulx escreveu isso aí:
> What is the best way to deploy Rails on Debian?
>
> I see that there has been some big advances in Ruby and Rails on
> Wheezy.  That's excellent news!  I know that the upstream ruby gem
> packaging architecture makes packaging for distributions quite
> difficult.  Let me applaud the recent efforts to work through and
> around those problems!  It is much appreciated.  I can see that it is
> already much better than it was before.

Thanks for your feedback, and thanks for raising this issue.

> But I have some questions.  I have asked the biggest umbrella question
> above and of course I know the phrasing is poor but it is phrased in
> the way that most people would ask it.  I know "best" is open for
> debate.  But that is the question.
>
> On Wheezy's (and Sid's) current image today:
>
>   # apt-get install rails3
>   Recommended packages:
>     ruby-coffee-rails ruby-uglifier
>
> But:
>
>   # apt-cache policy ruby-coffee-rails ruby-uglifier
>   ruby-coffee-rails:
>     Installed: (none)
>     Candidate: (none)
>     Version table:
>   ruby-uglifier:
>     Installed: (none)
>     Candidate: (none)
>     Version table:
>
> And of course then:
>
>   $ rails new foo
>   run  bundle install --local
>   Could not find gem 'coffee-rails (~> 3.2.1) ruby' in the gems available on this machine.
>
> And after coffee-rails it would be uglifier right behind it if
> coffee-rails were installed.  Of course that is simply the new project
> creation.  If coffee-rails isn't used I can comment those out of the
> bundler Gemfile.  But it still scary right at the start!  And I also
> know that this is different from deploying a developed site.  There I
> could "vendor everything" and avoid this too.   (I think.)
>
> Also it looks like neither node.js nor therubyracer are available to
> satisfy the the runtime requirements.
>
> Advice?  What is the Best Practice for Rails on Debian?

All the javascript stuff did not get into wheezy because they depend on
NodeJS, so right now the Rails 3 stack will not complete in pure wheezy:
in special, since ruby-coffee-rails and ruby-uglifier did not migrate,
the Rails 3 asset pipeline is not available.

My main goal when pushing to get rails3 into wheezy was to be able to
upgrade Noosfero (http://noosfero.org/) to rails3, and since it does not
use the asset pipeline that will be no problem for me personally.

*But* I also plan to support the use case for new applications, so my
plan is the following:

- get the missing pieces into wheezy backports as soon as possible, so
  that users that install rails3 using wheezy+wheezy-backports can have
  a smooth experience, with the asset pipeline and everything (which is
  BTW a very cool platform for managing CSS/Javascript code in Rails
  apps).

- maybe patch railties to comment out the asset pipeline part in the
  Gemfile created for fresh applications if those packages are not
  available, so that `rails new foo` in pure wheezy does not fail
  miserably like that. Any opinions on that?

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>