Re: Quick Question

Hello Will,

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 02:04:33AM +0200, Will Daniels wrote:
> I'm currently packaging a ruby gem called rdiscount that provides a
> simple bin script 'rdiscount' that begins by doing:
>
> $: << File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../lib")
> require 'rdiscount'

Ah yes.  I see this a lot too instead of people having a
"test/devel-time" script that does ruby -Ilib bin/blah.

> >From my limited knowledge of ruby so far, it I think this just adds
> ../lib to the search path, which seems at best redundant. What I'm
> unsure about is whether it could be actively harmful in some way?

Correct, it seems to add it at the end even.  Most of the time the
path is unshift'ed so that the current library under development
has precedence.

> So is that something that you would normally bother to patch out for
> packaging or not? Probably I'm being too finicky :D

It is a valid question, but IMO you should stay as close to upstream
as you can and thus not bother with patching this out.  You still can
hint upstream it is not exactly clean, but that is up to you.

> Sorry if I'm spamming the wrong list for this sort of question, but I
> don't really know where else to ask it.

No, not at all.  This is exactly the list where you should ask these
kinds of things.

Kind regards,
Paul

--