Is there time to get an updated audit package into wheezy?

Hi,

The audit package in wheezy is quite old, and it seems like the maintainer
hasn't had time to update it lately[1]. There's some additional functionality
in the latest version that I'd like to see available in wheezy, and future
releases of Ubuntu.

I'm wondering if there's still time to update it (properly) before wheezy
freezes? It looks like it would involve a small library transition.

Assuming I get the maintainer's blessing to make such an upload, what say
the release managers?

I believe this has been tried once before by an NMUer, and went horribly
wrong. If I understand correctly, this is because they didn't take the
library transition into consideration. I won't make that mistake :-)

regards

Andrew

[1]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=639865#27