Re: Zabbix package's RC bugs fixed - ready for Squeeze

On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 11:09 +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> Am 15.01.2011 10:18, schrieb Adam D. Barratt:
> > On Sat, 2011-01-15 at 01:02 +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> > So what happens when a user upgrades from lenny to the new package?
>
> A debconf screen is displayed telling the user that no automatic upgrade
> of the database is possible. The user is pointed to
> /usr/share/doc/zabbix-server-*sql/README.Debian with further
> instructions to upgrade manually.
[...]
> Yes, Zabbix stops working. The users sees a lot of SQL errors on the web
> interface. Until the user does the manual upgrade procedure Zabbix is
> unusable. But no existing data is lost.

Hrm, that's rather unfortunate.  I wonder if it's worth highlighting in
the release notes that this will happen during the upgrade process.

> > +  * Removed recommends for a database server from zabbix-frontend-php
> > +    package to prevent automatic installation since recommenations are
> > +    automatically installed.
[...]
> I made this change because it will likely fix two bugs that have been
> downgraded from "grave" to "important" - namely #606780 and #606795.
> During installation and upgrade tests I found that even if I chose
> zabbix-server-pgsql (Zabbix server using a PostgreSQL backend) the
> zabbix-frontend-php started to install a mysql-server-5.x package.

Ah, I see.  This does also mean that installing the PHP front-end on its
own will no longer pull in one of the server packages, although that's
arguably an improvement.

Please go ahead.

Regards,

Adam