plans for d-i rc2 (and Oldenburg meeting)

We seem to be in relatively good shape for another release at the
moment; as far as I know there's little significant new breakage. We
seem to have a lot of patches piling up in the BTS, and we should
perhaps try to go over those and work out which are worth applying
before a release. We also need to think about scheduling a string freeze
for the next release.

We've been tracking issues at the top of TODO, though most of them lately
have not been problems with d-i, but with the second stage install. I'll
trim it to the d-i issues:

Things we really should fix before rc2:

        - finish 2.6.8 and 2.4.27 kernel upgrades, all applicable arches
        - fix syslinux parameter bug #269424

Things that would be nice for rc2, but can't block it:

        - pcmcia-cs resource range detection
                (untested patch from per)
        - vmelilo-installer needs to remove no_bootloader
          from /target/etc/kernel-img.conf
        - support for root on raid

Since a string freeze takes at least a week, and getting all the images
built and tested for release took two weeks last time, we're still some
time from a rc2 release. The Oldenburg meeting is coming up next week,
and I dislike trying to do releases at such meetings. Still, we've
probably now reached the point where installation reports from rc1 are
less useful, and where we want users to be trying the latest version of
the installer.

So I propose that we do a release that is not a release candidate. We
could call this a test candidate (but users seemed to find that
confusing before), or a technology preview release. Some of the nice new
features would include -
	- root on LVM (done)
	- preseeding automatic installs (nearly done)
	- new kernels (nearly done)
	- whatever else has been done that I've forgotten about
	- whatever else we do at Oldenburg

This release would not rc1 involve a string freeze and a full set of
updated translations. It might even be broken on some architectures, if
some arches are currently broken. It would simply be a consistent
snapshot of what we have accomplished in the 2 months since rc1. It
would probably still take about a week to get it built and released; the
release building could begin right after Oldenburg for a release near
the beginning of next month. The rc2 release would then probably not
happen until the end of next month.

Alternatively, we could skip this and go ahead with getting rc2 out
immediatly after Oldenburg. That would mean probably a string freeze the
last week of this month, and a rc2 release near the middle of next month.

Which alternative is better, I leave up to you -- and the timetables of
the release managers.

I also wanted to touch on what we plan to work on at the Oldenburg
meeting. I realise that everyone has their own set of things they'd like
to work on there, but I also I think we should have a group goal for
that meeting. If we had a new architecture available, then would be a
great time to do a port to it. (Or we could try to port d-i to debian
bsd there..). Or we could try to get the root raid stuff finally sorted
out, or add some other new feature or important bug fix to the
installer. Or make sure the installation manual is ready for all
architectures. The point is to have a set goal that everyone can work on
and that we can complete during the meeting.

--
see shy jo