Re: Packages failing to be removed from testing

Steve Langasek wrote:
> > trying: -kernel-image-2.2.20-i386
> > skipped: -kernel-image-2.2.20-i386 (3 <- 172)
> >     got: 191+0: a-41:a-43:h-41:i-66
> >     * i386: pcmcia-modules-2.2.20, pcmcia-modules-2.2.20-compact, pcmcia-modules-2.2.20-idepci
>
> Package: pcmcia-cs
> Testing: 3.1.33-6
> Unstable: 3.2.2-1.1
> Bugs: 170188, 198285
> Suggestion: ??
> Analysis: The pcmcia modules package seems to be a bit of a mess; 180
>  days out of date in testing, despite not having any of the usual
>  excuses (glibc, gcc).  The package casts a very wide net of
>  dependencies, so any one kernel package disappearing from the archive
>  causes problems (as in the case above).  Requires further investigation
>  and probably an NMU.
>  An additional RC bug affects the package version currently in
>  woody-proposed-updates.

The solution here is to remove pcmcia-modules-* from testing and
unstable, while leaving pcmcia-cs in. We need cardctl, but we do not
really need precompiled modules from pcmcia-cs; the ones from the kernel
will do.

I would also like to see pcmcia-cs 3.2.2-1.2 go in, or d-i will not be
able to support pcmcia installs. It's currently stuck in inoming as it
has NEW components; and it happens to fix bug #170188..
Someone who can want to give it a nudge?

(Bug #198285 is a non-issue; downgrading it.)

--
see shy jo