Re: kmail and newimap4

El Jueves, 9 de Septiembre de 2004 00:26, Josh Gilbert escribió:
> So at http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2004/08/msg00769.html I found a
> message explaining that you need to install kdepim-kio-plugins to get imap
> with kmail. The reason was that some users might want to use kmail to
> browse local mboxes. I put the message I found at the bottom of this, it
> appears to be the current last word.

I'm using kmail for fetching only POP3 accounts. Why should we have to install
additional packages? This is bad for the mirrors, for the archive, for the
packagers, and of course, for users, etc.

> I disagree extremely strongly with the idea that imap should be independent
> of kmail. My use case, a very common one I should think, is that I ran
> apt-get dist-upgrade (I run unstable) and kmail broke! I didn't install any

No, it didn't broke, it's just that you are missing some functionality.

> pim package, I needed kmail, I installed kmail. I got an error message when

You are signing your message. Should kmail depend on gnupg? Or spamassassin?

> I tried to access an existing imap account, "could not start process for
> newimap". My response was to apt-cache search for imap. Failed. I now know
> that I could have apt-cache searched for newimap and found
> kdepim-kio-plugins. Silly me, I thought that newimap should parse to two
> tokens, "new imap".

apt-cache show kmail | grep Recommends

> Now, suppose that I was a user who didn't have root and my admin just
> apt-get upgrad'ed me. I would lose functionality and have no idea why and
> little recourse. Furthermore, I think that imap support should always come
> with kmail, as the commands are in the program. It is incredibly
> frustrating to have commands in the program which don't work. I think that
> this far outweighs the cost of having to download imap support. The default
> installation should not lead to a broken program!

Sincerely, this admin isn't doing what he should. Debian packages have
relations. One is Depends, and other are Recommends and Suggests. If it's
absolutely necessary for package A to have installed package B, then this is
a dependency. If package C is not absolutely necessary for running A, but
most users will find it useful, thats a recommendation.

At least, that is what I understand reading the Debian Policy:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#s-binarydeps

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://darkshines.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net