Re: PTS: host static files on static.d.o?

Hi,

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> what is the reason to move away from working static webpages? I also
> wonder where the CPU cycles for dynamic web pages will come from...

The CPU cycles used to generate all the HTML pages (even those wich are
not consulted) is rather important and was a major complaint of DSA
when I initially setup it on a debian.org host. I had to implement various
half-baked mechanisms to not regenerate pages when the underlying data
has not changed.

Now we'll use more modern tools that can cache stuff in a more granular
way and generate the content on the demand. I don't expect it to be much
more heavy... and if anything the load will be more balanced instead of
having big burst every 6 hours.

(And full ack on Zack's answer)

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/