Re: PTS: host static files on static.d.o?

Hi,

On Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 20:56:08 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Paul Wise wrote:
> > Most of the PTS is currently static HTML/etc files, that can change
> > approximately every 6 hours, depending on changes in the archive and in
> > external package checkers (lintian etc). The PTS is a fairly essential
> > service for package maintainers and it would be nice to take advantage
> > of it's static HTML generation to provide information to maintainers
> > even when the main host is down or disconnected.
>
> Please don't implement this for now. The planned GSOC project concerning
> the PTS is likely to change this initial design decision of having almost
> only static content.
>
> High availability is important for the PTS because it is a central part of
> the communication infrastructure too, and that can't be done with
> static.d.o. So we should probably investigate other ways to make it fault
> tolerant rather than a simple redundancy of static HTML pages.

what is the reason to move away from working static webpages? I also
wonder where the CPU cycles for dynamic web pages will come from...

Not amused,
zobel

--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>    Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer                       Debian Listmaster