Re: Do unit tests on Debian Servers/Build system?

On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 02:53:48AM +0000, c.buhtz@posteo.jp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to understand some basics about debian packaging Python applications
> and the upload and test process.
> My question in short: When (at which time point in the process of packaging
> python applications for Debian) do the Python unit tests run?
As a part of the build process they run when the package is built.
As a part of autopkgtests then run when autopkgtests for the package are
triggered, so after it's uploaded and when its deps/revdeps (?) are
uploaded.

> I know about the Salsa instance. Maintainers do create deb files out of it
> and then upload them to the official package repository.
Maintainers don't upload debs, debs are built on buildds.

> Starting from tracker.debian.org I can link to a lot of status packages
> indicating success or problems; e.g. Linitian, CI, ...
> No where I was able to find an indicator about if unit tests are successful
> or not.
Tests that run as a part of the build process fail the build ("buildd:
logs" on the tracker page).
Tests that run as a part of autopkgtests fail the autopkgtest (debci on
the tracker page, but also will have its own block if something fails).

> Do such tests to run at the Debian Servers? Or do the maintainers only start
> them at their own local machines? Is this a manual step in the process?
> If they run automatically when do they run? Before or after the deb files is
> created? If it is the latter then the test_*.py files need to be contained
> in the deb file I assume.
Autopkgtests have access to the source package so they don't need tests in
the binary packages.