Re: review for gtg/0.6-1

On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:07:56 +0100
François Mazen <francois@mzf.fr> wrote:

Thank you for making all those improvements.

> > * copyright:
> >  + public domain without explanation detailing exactly what
> > exemption the files in question have from default copyright
> > restrictions.
>
> I don't know what do you expect here. The current description
> contains "No copyright is claimed". What should I add?

Copyright restrictions apply by default, so for something to be in
the public domain requires some explicit statement to that effect by
the copyright holder. While d/copyright says "No copyright is
claimed" (which may or may not serve that purpose, depending on
context) I cannot find that particular statement anywhere in the
source. Where does it come from, who wrote it? (Or am I just
overlooking something obvious?)

> > * autopkgtests:
> >  + consider adding an autopkgtest based on the upstream
> > testsuite.
>
> The upstream provides two test datasets but no associated tests for
> the installed application. Should I write them myself? (would be
> quite complex as it's a graphical interface)

Tests don't necessarily have to be for the application as a whole,
not to mention the existing 'smoke' and 'check-graphical-app' cover
that part already. With the Debian CI triggering an autopkgtest run
for gtg every time there's a change in a dependency, running an
upstream testsuite that tests bits and pieces of code can still be
useful for finding incompatibilities such changes may introduce. Also,
testsuites based on pytest tend to be straightforward to turn into an
autopkgtest, see for example [1] and [2].

I noticed on salsa that the updated d/rules tries to run the upstream
testsuite during build but it errors out during test collection (and
that error in turn doesn't trigger build failure).

[1]https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/puremagic/-/tree/master/debian/tests
[2]https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/nfoview/-/blob/debian/master/debian/tests/upstream-pytest