interpreter / stdlib split

Hey folks,

I'm pretty new to packaging python.  Apologies in advance if I'm making
bad assumptions.  I recently packaged IronPython.  It can optionally use
the libraries from the standard python library.  It doesn't seem that
these libs are distributed separately from the cpython interpreter.
Would it be worth the effort to split the interpreter and the standard
library into separate packages?  I don't know whether jython is capable
of loading the library, but if it is, it seems reasonable to split
things up a bit.

Thoughts?

C.J.