Advice needed on splitting a package

Hi all,

I'd appreciate some advice (where to start, what docs to read, etc) on
building separate binary packages for RabbitVCS. Previously we just
separated the upstream tarball itself, but that ended in tears. Now we
have a single tarball and I'd like to split out the binary packages.

You can check the tarball[1], but basically the top level structure is:

[clients] - separate extension modules for nautilus, thunar, gedit and CLI
[rabbitvcs] - the actual python module
setup.py - the distutils based setup script **for the module, not the clients**
(and a bunch of other maintenance stuff)

Now, the module can be built with a really simple CBDS rules file[2].
The clients can be made with a "dh_install" debhelper rules file[3]
that just move the files to where they need to be. But I'm a bit stuck
on how to put it all together. Can anyone point me to some up-to-date
docs, or maybe even a good package that's an example of what I'd like
to do?

Cheers,
Jason Heeris

[1] http://code.google.com/p/rabbitvcs/downloads/detail?name=rabbitvcs-0.13.1.tar.gz