Re: new dh_python proposal

[Luca Falavigna, 2010-01-15]
> Piotr Ożarowski ha scritto:
> > * no need for helper in Depends and Build-Depends - I want dh_python and
> >   pycompile/pyclean to be shipped in python packages,
>
> It is not clear to me how to achieve this.

Matthias promised to lend me some space in python packages ;-)

> > * broken modules that use __file__ incorrectly will work without problems,
>
> OK, I'd still warn loudly if that happens, though.

sure, but that's not helper's job

> > * user installs new pythonX.Y package:
> >   - bytecompile related symlinks (pycompile -V X.Y) - no need for a list of
> >     files to compile at this point - all .py files in
> >     /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/{site,dist}-packages will have to be byte-compiled,
>
> Suppose I have foo package installed, then I install pythonX.Y, so
> symlinks will be byte-compiled for X.Y. What happens if I remove foo
> package? Will byte-compiled files for X.Y be removed as well?

foo's prerm will remove them

> >     byte compilation will not fail as it was already tested at build time,
>
> What about cases when code is no longer supported in a given Python
> release? I think of "except YourFavouriteException, e:" code with 3.1
> (but feel free to use a better example), byte-compilation will fail.

then package will FTBFS and maintainer will have to skip this version in
debian/rules. After a while RMs will remove such package from Debian
archive (they'll watch how XB-Python-Version is changing after rebuilds)

> > $ python3.1 ./3.x/setup.py install --root=debian/python3-foo/
> >  debian/python3-foo/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/foo/__init__.py
> >  debian/python3-foo/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/foo/_foo.so
> >  debian/python3-foo/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/foo/bar.py
>
>    debian/python3-foo/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/spam.py (?)

yes, it's possible for one binary package to procide multiple top level
namespaces

> > # egg uses Python >= 2.6
> > $ python ./setup.py install --root=debian/mypackage/ --install-lib=/usr/share/privatedir3/ --install-scripts=/usr/share/privatedir3
> >  debian/mypackage/usr/lib/privatedir3/egg/__init__.py
> >  debian/mypackage/usr/lib/privatedir3/run.py
>
> Are files installed under $(CURDIR)/usr/*lib* ?

s/lib/share/
good catch