Re: new dh_python proposal

Piotr Ożarowski ha scritto:
> * no need for helper in Depends and Build-Depends - I want dh_python and
>   pycompile/pyclean to be shipped in python packages,

It is not clear to me how to achieve this.

> * broken modules that use __file__ incorrectly will work without problems,

OK, I'd still warn loudly if that happens, though.

> * user installs new pythonX.Y package:
>   - bytecompile related symlinks (pycompile -V X.Y) - no need for a list of
>     files to compile at this point - all .py files in
>     /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/{site,dist}-packages will have to be byte-compiled,

Suppose I have foo package installed, then I install pythonX.Y, so
symlinks will be byte-compiled for X.Y. What happens if I remove foo
package? Will byte-compiled files for X.Y be removed as well?

>     byte compilation will not fail as it was already tested at build time,

What about cases when code is no longer supported in a given Python
release? I think of "except YourFavouriteException, e:" code with 3.1
(but feel free to use a better example), byte-compilation will fail.

> $ python3.1 ./3.x/setup.py install --root=debian/python3-foo/
>  debian/python3-foo/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/foo/__init__.py
>  debian/python3-foo/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/foo/_foo.so
>  debian/python3-foo/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/foo/bar.py

   debian/python3-foo/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/spam.py (?)

> # egg uses Python >= 2.6
> $ python ./setup.py install --root=debian/mypackage/ --install-lib=/usr/share/privatedir3/ --install-scripts=/usr/share/privatedir3
>  debian/mypackage/usr/lib/privatedir3/egg/__init__.py
>  debian/mypackage/usr/lib/privatedir3/run.py

Are files installed under $(CURDIR)/usr/*lib* ?

--

  .''`.
 : :' :   Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org>