Re: Debian identi.ca account/group after migration to pump.io

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 03:51:12PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > There is a totally different approach to this: forget identi.ca by
> > now, until everything is more mature, and create an official Debian
> > account and group in another StatusNet public server, as I said in my
> > first email.
>
> Interesting thought... the transition has indeed been annoying.
> Lets turn this problem on its head a bit....
[…]
> How about we move the source of messages to the Debian website, have
> the website generate RSS feeds containing them (webwml already has RSS
> stuff) and then use the various RSS to whatever services for getting
> that out to the StatusNet, pump.io, Diaspora, Twitter, Facebook etc
> social/microblogging networks. By doing this we also enable more
> Debian folks to post messages out to the social network cloud.

I've been following this discussion only tangentially, but I think this
is a brilliant idea. After all what we, as in Debian, care about is
having a feed of "tweets" (in its broadest meaning of short messages)
and deliver them via existing social networks, publicly endorsing only
the free ones. Doing so in a central, stable, and social-network
agnostic; and then generate from it the social-network-specific feeds
seems definitely the right way to approach the problem.

[ FWIW, I don't think that at this point setting up a status.net Debian
  server is the way to go. I agree that the migration to pump.io has
  been dealt with sub-optimally, but there seems to be more development
  thrust in pump.io than in status.net these days (or, if you don't
  agree with that, you'll probably agree that it is not yet clear which
  of the 2 projects is more likely to still be alive 10 years from
  now). Also, last time I checked, the status.net folks were looking
  into offering pump.io compatibility. For all these reasons, I think it
  is premature now to embrace, as our canonical "tweet" service
  status.net. OTOH if we do go down the path suggested by Paul, we can
  "easily" be present on both networks. ]

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .