Architecture descriptions (was Re: greater popularity of Debian on AMD64?)

On 2012-09-05 14:17, Ben Hutchings wrote:
On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 06:04:00PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 12:36:36PM -0400, W. Anderson wrote:
It is somewhat surprising and a little disappointing that Debian, or any
other GNU/Linux distribution would be making statements that, in effect,
give great public support to AMD in regard Linux, when the company has
for many years been decidedly ambivalent and generally uncooperative
towards the Linux community, particularly in cooperation with Microsoft
in their negative attitudes and /_actions _/toward Free/Open Source
Software communities.

Hi Wendell,

Please see http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/ - amd64 refers to the
architecture which includes both AMD and Intel.
I've previously requested that various user-facing references to
'i386' and 'amd64' should be changed to the hopefully more
understandable '32-bit PC' and '64-bit PC', with some success.  Please
could the publicity team try to follow this convention in future
press/publicity material?

(amd64 can run on current Macs, which are marketed as not-a-PC, but
I don't think there's much point mentioning that until we make it
easier to install on them.)

Ben.

I agree that we should not simply use "AMD64" to refer to x86-64, and we should avoid system names, but I disagree about "{32,64}-bit PC". See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=611830 for more.