Re: [Debconf-discuss] Summary of the publicity BOF

On Aug 1, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Ana Guerrero wrote:

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 01:58:36PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Meike Reichle wrote:
	planet.debian.org
* We should aggregate debian-announce on planet.debian.org. Many people
seem to take it as a general information source on Debian.
* Many people post information about newsworthy things in their blogs, because they don't know where else to put it. A better news aggregation service (see above) should help this. Some also just don't want the extra work, it would be worthwhile to pick their news off planet and add them to
the aggregation ourselves.
* To this end there was a proposal to add a feature to planet.d.o and maybe also the mailing lists that provides a link that can be clicked in
order to suggest a post to the news aggregation service.

Full ack on this. IMO we should really create a central news service that
aggregates:
- debian-announce / debian-news mails
- some cherry picked planet.d.o posts (maybe even from other blogs from time to time, there are some interesting stuff on planet.ubuntu.com for
 instance)
- maybe times.debian.net if it's not redundant with
 debian-announce/debian-news

I would be interested to help run/setup such a service although I don't
know what software could be used for this.

I am currently doing the setup of something similar but it is not 100 %
this.
I presented one previous idea in the bof, but i am not sure if i did not introduce it properly or just people did not like it. Still I think it is
worth invest my time on trying it.
More information coming very soon.

I used to do something slightly similar to this in the past on the wiki, until I got tired since no one seemed to care :)

http://wiki.debian.org/FrontPageNews

The front page of the wiki used to pull the feed at:

http://wiki.debian.org/FrontPageNewsFeed

a few times a day. I used to use a simple aggregator that I made called Vitacilina [1] and used to insert it on the wiki with some simple WWW::Mechanize foo. Re-enabling such a setup would be trivial in case you guys want to add on top of that.

Cheers,

1: http://search.cpan.org/~damog/Vitacilina-0.1/lib/Vitacilina.pm