Re: Let's resurrect Debian Weekly News

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:45:47PM +0200, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> I think it is very important for the success of the Project News to keep
> the entry barrier low; people able to write or proofread are not
> necessary those who are able to use those nifty revision control
> systems.  So I think we should go for wiki.debian.org -- after all wikis
> where made to maintain texts.

This means you don't want to use the Wiki for the current issue only
but want to keep all issues there?

Mmh, I don't care where the current issue is written but would prefer
if it would move later to www.debian.org/News/weekly/. This would allow to
have only "released" news and could reuse the translation framework
of the website such as statistics, robots, ... See e.g.
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/de.html

> The current workflow in my head would be the following:
> - Someone sees something interesting and reports it to this list
> - It's picked up by an editor, and added to
>   http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews/Issues/Current
> - Native english readers can review it constantly and improve it
> - After two weeks it's sent to debian-news

and committed to CVS :-)

> Sounds simple, but while the last step currently needs to be done by me,
> I would hope the first two aren't done by myself alone ;)

I could convert the Wiki pages into WML and commit. But to be honest I
do not have any experience with wiki systems. I hope there is an easy way
to get it offline maybe also to do the conversion automatically ...
I would also continue working on the German translation (in CVS, not in
a wiki).

Jens